Friday, May 11, 2012

Homemade Friday: Cold Brewed Iced Coffee

This Homemade Friday is one of my favorites, especially this week as my body has decided to go all asshole on me and refuse to sleep at night, for days and days in a row.

I'm tired, is what I'm saying.

Exhausted even.

But this, this makes the afternoons a little better.  Or would if I remembered to take the 30 seconds needed to mix it up, as it needs 12 hours to brew.

So.  Anyway.  This has been a lifesaver this week, except for today, of course, which is probably when I need it the most, but what can you do, right?

Cold brewed coffee.  I had no idea.  I always thought you make iced coffee by taking the leftover coffee from the morning, that had sat on the burner for hours, thus getting super thick and bitter, and mixing it with cream and sugar and putting it either in the fridge or freezer until it cooled down, then adding some ice.


Apparently I was wrong.

I was looking for a muffin recipe one day because I am always looking for muffin recipes, and this happened to catch my eye.



And I was hooked.  I've made it over and over and over again.  It's simple, quick, and so, so delicious.  It is so lacking in the burnt coffee flavor that I'm used to that I don't even need cream and sugar, just ice.

You should definitely give it a try if you're a super lover of coffee.  Or if you just need a pick-me-up around 3 in the afternoon, which is my usual crash time.  Except for this week when it's been about 10 in the morning.


Cold Brewed Iced Coffee

Mix 1/3 cup of coffee with 1 1/2 cups of water.
Let set in the refrigerator for around 12 hours.
Strain.
Mix half coffee concentrate with water.  I usually make it a little stronger than this. 
Add cream and sugar if you like.
Drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!