Friday, May 27, 2011

Craft Friday: New dress

One day this:



















Will turn into this: (The white one with red polka dots)



It's McCalls 4769.

I'm not as good at sewing as I'd like to be, but I do keep trying.  I don't often put forth the effort that is required, though.  But lately I've been really wanting to sew, to create something in a way that is challenging to me.  And so I thought I'd tackle this dress.  I've also been on a vintage dress kick lately, and this is much cheaper than buying them of etsy and looks pretty close to what I'm going after.

I've spent a little more time on this dress than I normally do when sewing.  I've tried to follow the directions as best as I can, though I'm pretty awful at word problems and sewing patterns are just one giant word problem to me.  

But I've done better than I'd hoped, especially with trying to sew an hour here, 30 minutes there, whenever the children were sleeping or otherwise occupied.  One day I sewed while Sebastian painted on his easel, and then himself after he took his clothes off.

With any luck this will actually be finished soon rather than sitting in my craft closet for years like other projects I've started.

I still have no idea how to sew buttons on so that's something I'm going to have to make my mom do help me with.

And I've got plans for a short sleeve version and maybe even a long sleeve version.  But one thing at a time, right?

(Also, don't look too closely at the waist seam.  There's a mistake that I didn't feel like fixing so will try to iron out without taking the whole thing apart.  I'm not the perfectionist my mother is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!