Friday, November 4, 2011

Homemade Friday: Leaf Garland

I've been wanting to do something fall-decoration-like with Sebastian for awhile now, something that didn't involve construction paper.

I came up with this idea after doing some googling.  At first I wanted to make some potato stamps and stamp leaf shapes on burlap but then decided that I didn't want to take the time to sew burlap, plus how the hell do you cut a potato into a stamp anyway?

Stencils and felt it is.

When I began this I failed to remember that with Sebastian, everything has to be prepared ahead of time because the boy loses interest right quick.

So I got him hyped and ready but I hadn't cut the stencils out of freezer paper yet. 

And just so you're aware and prepared ahead of time, unlike myself, freezer paper will only work as a stencil once or twice before it becomes misshapen and you have to cut a new one.

I cut three.
(As always, sorry for the crappy pictures.)

Sebastian, true to form, told me about 25 times that he didn't want to do it anymore.  That he just wanted me to do it.

But he settled down a bit once we got the hot glue gun out.  I let him help me with it, carefully since I've burned myself on those more times than I can count and those bastards HURT.

I used some old garden twine to glue the pieces of felt that I'd cut from larger pieces and just regular craft paint.  Honestly I wasn't sure that it would turn out as good as it did, but I love it. 

And I even let Sebastian stencil some of the leaves before I got all anal retentive and forced him to let me do the outside edges first so the stencil wouldn't fray more than it already had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!