Friday, October 12, 2012

Homemade Friday: The deer, they are fornicating

Yes.  Yes they are.

Oh you guys.  This was so much fun to knit. 

Not the least of which is the fact that color work is new to me.  And I think I did pretty good overall, despite the fact that I twisted all the yarn around in the beginning so that I had to untwist it each time I started a new row, cursing the stupid yarn all the while when I should have been cursing myself and my inability to use my critical thinking.

The hat is actually two different hats, the first one worked with a provisional cast on so you can just unravel it when you're done and put the live stitches on your needles and knit the second one.  It's such an easier way to knit a double-knit hat.

I started with the 'nice' side of the hat.  And I could not stop smiling as the designs took shape.  And then I knit the 'naughty' side. 

Guys.  I giggled.  It was delightful.

I made it for my former neighbor who asked for it way back in January, I think.  (I mentioned it here.)  But at least it's ready in time for winter, right?  And now Chris wants one.

 I used this pattern, which used this chart. (Ravelry links)

I used Knitpicks Gloss Heavy Worsted in black and gray, which I think are now both discontinued.  (Who discontinues BLACK?!)  Actually it looks like they're discontinuing the entire yarn, which is a shame because it was really soft to work with.

I love everything about this hat.  The only issue is that it may be a little big on top, which was probably my fault with gauge.  As usual.

But no matter.  I think it'll be fine.  The deer don't seem to mind.

(Gigglesnort.)


1 comment:

  1. Looks warm and toasty! Here is our moment:
    http://www.mymotheringmadness.com/2012/10/12/this-moment-11/

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!