Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade Friday: A photo essay of unfinished knitting projects

The thing about me and knitting is, I’m mostly a winter-time knitter.  And that’s not to say that I don’t knit in the summer, it’s just that once the colder weather of autumn comes around, I begin to have panic attacks that my family-or-friends will freeze in the coming winter unless I start knitting in every free moment I have.  So there’s a lot of that has been going on lately. 

And I love it. 

My ridiculously puny wrists don’t love it.  But I love it.

And January seems to be the month around here to have lots of different projects going.  Mostly socks, though.  My feet get cold easily.  Poor circulation, you know?

So, instead of showing you the things I have finished, which are gifts I’ve made for friends that haven’t been gifted yet, ergo I can’t show them to you, I will show you the unfinished partial projects.

Exciting, no?

First up are these socks:



I do not like the yarn pattern, which is why this sock has been languishing on the needles for months.  Wait, scratch that.  It’s been at least a year since I’ve started these.  Have I shown this to you before?  I feel like I have.  Anyway, I started with the yarn using my own standard knitting pattern, and didn’t like it, but kept hoping that the stripe would improve.  And by the time I’d gotten through a whole rotation of the stripe pattern I was almost done with the sock.  So I figured if I ripped it out it would be a complete waste of time.  So there you go.  I take this out when I’m finished with a project and haven’t figured out what my new project will be.  I use it to keep the knitting muscles toned.

And then there’s this sweater:

  
I LOVE this sweater.  It’s my own pattern, using The Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, which, as its title suggests, is super handy to have around.  It’s for Sebastian, made out of an organic cotton, since the last sweater I made him that had wool in it he says is itchy.  This one is soft, and I think he’ll like it, if it actually gets finished before it’s 90 degrees outside.  But it’s a little big, so he should be able to wear it next year, unlike his yellow sweater I made this year that Adele is wearing today.  It’s a little long but the sleeves fit her.  My measuring is awesome, is what I’m saying.

Next are more socks:


These socks are for me, using my pattern, made out of yarn I got from my mother-in-law for Christmas.  These stripes make me so happy and I can’t wait to see what the next one will look like.  They don’t have needles in them because I only have one pair of the harmony wood dpns, which are my new favorite.  They’re thin but still sturdy, unlike the bamboo ones I have in this size which broke right away.  But I needed them so I could make these socks for my neighbor:


They’re bright and awesome.  There the first time I’ve made toe-up socks and I’m pretty stoked about them.  The color makes me smile when I look at it.  They’re going to be knee-highs for my neighbor, using this pattern. 

And that’s all I currently have on the needles, unless you count the projects that have been languishing for literally years, which I don’t.

And I’ve got so many more things on my list that need to be knit this winter.  My neighbor’s husband wants a fornicating deer hat (yes, you read that right.)  Adele needs a sweater.  I’ve got a sweater in mind for myself.  Everyone needs socks and hats and mittens and scarves. And at some point I have hopes that Chris, who is extremely hard to please when it comes to clothes, will let me knit him another sweater.

I will not get it all done.  I’m realistic enough to admit that.  But the planning is pretty exciting, too.

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget my request for cute little hats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fornicating deer hat is priceless. I can see that as an ugly holiday sweater incarnation as well.
    And I <3 the bottom two sock yarns, so so pretty. I have yet to attempt a pair of socks, but I have done a hat in the round, can't be a whole lot different right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty close, but the heels and toes can be a little tricky!

      And that would be a perfect idea for a Christmas sweater!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!