Thursday, March 22, 2012

I blame children-induced temporary insanity


I’m not entirely sure what possessed me.

I mean, I’ve wanted a new bedspread for awhile since the old one had holes and stains and a good amount of cat hair on it that, no matter what I did, would not go away.  (You all want to come hang out in my bedroom now, don’t you?)

I had a trip planned to Ikea for this weekend with a friend of mine, but unfortunately those plans fell through.  I was beyond depressed and, as I told my friend, not only was I missing out on spending the day with someone I have mucho fun with and don’t get to see very often, but I also had a long list of things I wanted to buy.

First on that list, a bedspread.

(Second on the list was a new bedroom suite, but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t fit in the car, no matter how flat it’s packed.)

So as I wasn’t able to make the trek to the land of Swedish meatballs and lingonberry jam, I decided that a trip to Target would be an okay substitute.

My biggest mistake was taking the children with me.  For the most part they behaved, but I didn’t go straight to the bedspreads and leave, like I should have.  No, first I meandered through the clothes and the underwear department because Sebastian saw a bra and wanted to know if it was a bathing suit.  He also asked if it was just for girls and instead of getting into a whole transgendered/cross dresser conversation, I said yep!  They’re for mamas!  And then we went to the shoes, and then toddler shoes, because Adele needs some summer sandals and really, how hard is it to make a damn pair of little girl shoes that aren’t covered in stripper glitter?  Or that have a heel?  A HEEL FOR AN ALMOST-2 YEAR OLD WHO FALLS DOWN A LOT.  Brilliant.

(We found a white pair at Wal-mart.  No glitter.  No heel.  No daddy issues.)

So by the time we made it to the bedspreads the kids had almost met their limit on shopping.  Sebastian wanted to look at toys, and Adele, every 35 seconds, was saying “Down!  Down!  Down!”  And so I was preoccupied.

I looked at the cream bedspread first, then dismissed it because it was too light and I have two small children and I am not an idiot.  And then I couldn’t decide between the brown or grey.  Or there was a light blue one that might match the rug, but maybe not.  Or the taupe one was nice.  But the brown one is pretty dark.  I like the grey, but I’m not sure if Chris will like it.  And on and on and on and on it all went in my head while both kids started fussing and Adele attempted to climb out of the cart while Sebastian tried to climb in it. 

My brain shut down, is what I’m saying.

This is the one I bought:


Good Lord in heaven what possessed me?

And I didn’t even realize my mistake at first.  No, I took it home and put it right on the bed and sat back and thought about how pretty it looked and how soft it was to the touch, and how much I wanted to lay down on it rightthissecond.

Then the kids got up from their naps.

I realized I’d have to take it back to the store when my children tried to climb on the bed and I slow-motion ran to them and pushed them on the floor, not heeding their cries of pain.*

I bought the grey one.  Hopefully no children will be harmed today.  I also bought myself a bracelet to make up for my troubles.

*Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!