Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Although he probably only has more because I dye mine

It’s my almost favorite day of the year, otherwise known as Christopher’s birthday.  And this is my almost favorite day of the year because it’s the day when our age numbers are the same, and I am no longer one number ahead of him.
He's going to hate me for posting this picture. But at least I
cropped out the other ones, CHRISTOPHER.

It’s important, you see.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things it’s not all that important.  But in my admittedly small scheme of things, it’s kind of a big deal.

I hate, HATE being teased.  Or at least I did until I started dating Christopher (FOURTEEN WHOLE YEARS AGO OH MAH GAWD), who lives to tease and make fun of and joke around with people.

Have you met him?  He’s probably made fun of you.  And he won’t do it behind your back.  He’ll do it right to your face.  He’s an equal-opportunity maker-funner of.   Or something.

And so my skin grew thicker and thicker and thicker with each lovable insult over the years.  And it is lovable.  He’s funny and witty and quick.  And I’ve learned to be funny and witty and quick, too. 

To not take myself too seriously. 

To laugh at myself when he calls me a cougar. 

And life has been decidedly more fun.

It’s exhausting constantly worrying about what people think of me.  And it’s exhausting stressing over someone not liking me, or thinking that I’m kind of dorky.

I now embrace my dorkiness.

And it’s all thanks to Christopher, who makes fun of me on a daily basis for being as dorky as I am.

And with all of that teasing, I’m able to love myself more. 

And I’m able to laugh right along with him when he makes fun of me for watching stupid television shows.  (Project Runway – you are so dumb but I JUST CAN’T QUIT YOU.)

However, that all being said, it’s nice to know that our age numbers are currently the same, even if it’s only for six months of the year, and even though that still won’t stop him from telling me that I’m old.

But no matter. 

I’m pretty sure he has more grey hair than I do anyway.

(Happy Birthday, Christopher.  I love you in spite of your grey hair.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!