Friday, April 29, 2011

Craft Friday: Sock Edition

Oh socks.  SOCKS!

I don't know how I feel about knitting socks.  I usually always have some on the needles, but I think of them more as filler.  As in, if I'm not working on anything else, or if I need something easy that I can work on and not think about, I knit socks. 

They're more a utilitarian knitting project.  I need warm socks.  My kids need warm socks.  My husband needs warm socks.  But they're not overly exciting. 

Which is probably why I'm having such a hard time with these socks.


They're just too fancy.  It's a pattern I designed myself.  Well, I didn't design the actual diamond pattern, but I figured out how many repeats to do and how many stitches to cast on for.  (I use way more math with knitting than I ever thought I would!)

I thought I wanted something fancy, something to break away from my usual plain socks.  I was wrong.  I've been working on these for at least a month, probably more, and I can't seem to finish one sock.  Knitting socks, to me, is a time to shut my mind off, and that just doesn't happen when you're trying to remember where to yarn over and where to knit two together. 

And so they've languished and probably will continue to do so.  I'm sure they will eventually be finished.  Just not anytime soon.

This is what I need.
Plain vanilla.  Easy.  Monotonous even.  Something that is rhythmic and soothing, that clears my head. 

I may not be overly fond of this particular yarn, but I like the process.  And I like how warm they'll keep my feet next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!