Friday, June 8, 2012

Homemade Friday: Strawberry Ice Cream in a bag!

I know, I know. 

Ice cream in a bag is EVERYWHERE.

But I was looking for something fun to do with the kids, since we've been under quarantine until the children are over being sick.  (Thankfully I think they're better, for the most part.)

So I searched around until I found a recipe I liked and that we had the ingredients for. 

I landed on this one but changed it around some. 

I had an abundance of heavy cream that needed to be used, and really, what's ice cream without ridiculous amounts of fat and calories anyway?  I also doubled the recipe, separating it into two bags.


I'm not sure how much I like the whole process of using a bag.  I've done it twice now and each time the outer bag busted, leaving me covered in salty ice water.

I was not amused.

Actually, neither was Sebastian.  He was excited about ice cream, but didn't want to work for it.  He shook the bag a total of three times, then handed it back to me.

I do not have a cute picture of my children shaking the ice bags
because they wouldn't do it. Spoilsports.

I didn't really shake it long enough to have it freeze as much as it should have, mainly because I had children at my feet wanting to eat it.  Also my arms got tired after 5 minutes.

Thankfully my dad fixed my KitchenAid for me (guess how excited I am?) so any future ice cream will probably be made with the attachment for the mixer. 

But the strawberry ice cream tasted delicious, if a bit melty.  But the kids weren't too upset about that.

This is Sebastian saying 'Hurry up and take the stupid picture
so I can eat my ice cream already!  He asked for the cut up
strawberries, by the way.

Strawberry Ice Cream In A Bag
2 Cups of heavy cream or milk or a mixture of the two
1 Cup of strawberries, hulled and quartered
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 Cup of salt
A whole lot of ice

Put the cream, strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a blender and mix until smooth.  Be careful not to whip the cream.  Or do and just have strawberry whipped cream.
Pour equal amounts of mixture into two separate quart size bags and seal tightly.
Place a bunch of ice in two gallon sized bags and put 1/4 cup of salt in each.
Put one bag of strawberry cream into each ice-filled bag and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake and shake until the mixture starts to freeze and then shake some more until you have the consistency you prefer or until you get tired of shaking.
Your bag will probably bust even though you started buying the name-brand bags because the off-brand ones were crap.  Have another bag ready just in case.
When you take the ice cream out of the bag be careful not to get the salty ice water on the ice cream.  I can't imagine that would taste very good.

I froze the leftovers and because I didn't shake it enough to turn it into a solid ice cream it ended up turning into melted ice cream that was re-frozen.

In other words don't do that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!