Friday, February 24, 2012

Homemade Friday: Sock Infidelity Numero Dos

Okay.  It might be getting a little ridiculous.  It’s just that ever since I pulled out my old jewelry making supplies to get some elastic so Sebastian could make a necklace, I’ve gotten the bug.

Jewelry making was a HUGE part of my life in high school and college.  It started with the hemp macramé, and continued on to beading.  I’d bring a bag of freshly made necklaces to school to sell, which I’m not entirely sure was allowed, but I did it anyway. I used to set a table up at craft fairs and festivals and sell lots of stuff I made.  One time I set up with a girl who also made jewelry, but her stuff didn’t sell as well as mine did.  That could be because she spent the whole time hungover laying on a bench behind our table.  Or it could have been, like her oh-so-helpful brother said, because ‘those people’ just didn’t appreciate her craft, and her stuff would sell much better with people who weren’t from Brandenburg, KY, implying, of course, that my stuff was of a lesser quality because the people were buying it.  Maybe he was right, and her stuff was much better than mine, but I was the one making money and she was the one pouting.  


(Not still bitter.  Nope.)

I even made all of my wedding jewelry, including the jewelry for all the girls in the bridal party.  But at some point I just stopped.  I don’t know if it’s because I had kids, or if it was because knitting kind of took over my life.  But I lost interest for awhile.

Until I saw all that stuff.  I’ve got tons and tons of supplies, sitting unused.  And I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

I tried to resist the call.  I mean, it’s not like I have nothing else to do.  I’ve got the sock to finish.  I’ve got a bunch of clothes I’m selling at a big, fancy consignment sale to process and label (holy hell, that’s been a task.  Never doing it again.)  I’ve got a house to clean, food to cook, kids to keep from running around like someone slipped them Mountain Dew. 

But last night, after the kids were safely in bed, I couldn’t resist any longer.  I got out my supplies and started.  I want to make a many-stranded bead necklace.  I didn’t have the supplies that would make the task easier, but I did have some that would let me do what I wanted, but in a much more irritating and difficult way. 

You probably can’t see from the pictures, but the beads are purple.  They are purple because that is what I had. 

And when I started, it was like a release.  I’d been refusing to give in, but tying that first knot was like reclaiming my youth.  Of course, it took me 45 minutes to attach a stupid jump ring, but it’s on.  And my kids and I made a trip to the craft store today to get some more supplies, because I may be beginning an obsession. 

It’s one I can live with.

But I am still working on the sock, too.  I promise!  See?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!