Friday, October 14, 2011

Homemade Friday: Kale smoothies

I have a lot of kale.  I mean a lot.  Behold: 


I actually like kale just stir-fried or mixed with tomatoes, cannellini beans and pasta, but members of my family are not quite as excited about that meal as I am.  So I needed to find a way to use up some of these monstrosities.  I do plan on chopping, blanching and freezing some, but wanted to get the most health benefits I could now while it's fresh because the freezing process takes some of that away.

Also, I've started to worry about the kids getting enough vegetables.  Most of our dinners seem to be one-pot meals where everything is cooked down, mostly because it's easier and quicker to do that.  But I don't feel like we're eating enough fresh vegetables and fruits.  It kind of sucks being the sole person responsible for the diets of young people.  I can't just feed them chicken nuggets everyday, no matter how easy it is.


And then I thought of smoothies.  I'm sure we've all heard of green smoothies.  As far as I can tell it's basically just fruit blended with greens.  And since I happen to have an abundance of greens, it all worked out perfectly.

I started Monday with a basic kale banana smoothie.  In addition to kale and bananas it has honey, milk and cinnamon. 


It was amazing.  Really, really good.

So after that I worked with kale, plain yogurt, blueberries, grapes, bananas and a little bit of honey.  The honey makes this one extra sweet, and probably isn't necessary.

You can't taste the kale at all.  Okay, I take that back, I can taste it a tiny bit, but the sweet overpowers it to the point that they complement each other. 

They've been our mid-morning snack or a part of lunch all week.  I think we'll keep it up.  


Adele loves them.

Sebastian loves them.

Chris loves them.

And most importantly, I love them.

The only problem is that the little bits of kale get stuck in your teeth so be sure to check that out before you go out in public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!