Friday, February 15, 2013

Homemade Friday: Jack Skellington Gloves

Hey, remember when I mentioned how I was knitting gloves for my nieces and nephew?  

Well, I finally finished them.  At least a month late, but who's counting?

These pictured here are the last ones I finished.  And look how cool!


My niece LOVES The Nightmare Before Christmas.  And she picked out this design.  I thought it would be easy to find a chart for it but I couldn't find a pattern for Mr. Skellington.   So I made up my own using a blend of this chart and this photo.


Do you think it worked?  I'm searching for validation here so anything positive you can say would be fantastic.  My niece liked then, I think.  But I doubt she'd say if she didn't because those kids are raised with manners and the need not to offend someone who does something nice for you.

I forgot to take pictures of the first two sets of gloves I made because was in a great hurry to hand them off.  
 
So.  It's imagination time, kiddos.

The other gloves look just like these pictured here, except instead of a teal Jack Skellington one pair has a hot pink star and the other has a light grey smiley face.


The index fingers and thumbs on each set have conductive thread sewn in, which actually was the toughest part of the whole process.  I couldn't figure out how to put it in and make it work right.  But I finally got the hang of it.  They're not going to feel like regular gloves because the thread is thick and bulky, but hopefully it's not too bad. 

And they can wear gloves and use their smart phones and ipads and plethora of other electronic devices and still have warm hands.

I think they're cool.  However I am old and not so hip.

Pattern: For the larger gloves I used the Sock-It-To-Me glove pattern from Knitpicks and for the smaller I used Michelle Gloves from Drops designs.

Charts: I used this Smiley Face chart for my nephew and also I used it as a guide for the Jack Skellington Gloves.  And I used this star chart pattern for my older niece.

Yarn: Stroll Fingering from Knitpicks.

4 comments:

  1. I am not an expert, but I think they look great!

    http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.ca/2013/02/this-moment-smiles-by-princess.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Jamie. You tackle some really difficult projects and they turn out beautifully...You are my knitting hero.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!