Friday, December 9, 2011

Homemade Friday: Cinnamon Ornaments

My wrists will probably never recover from all of this knitting that I can't show you.

Actually, that's totally not true as I've done much more knitting than this in a much shorter time frame.

But still.  Ouch.

I think I have such problems with them because I have giant, monster hands and tiny, dainty wrists.

So anyway, there's my complaining for today.  On to the craft.

These ornaments are so easy and so sweet and as a bonus make your house smell like Christmas.


The recipe says to mix together a cup of cinnamon and 3/4 cup of applesauce until it makes a dough.  I will say that I added just a little bit of water because it wasn't coming together like I wanted it to.  Once it's come together, roll it out between two sheets of wax paper, freezer paper, parchment paper, anything to keep it from staining your countertops.

Let the kids have at it and cut out different shapes with cookie cutters.

And if you're like me, try very hard to not be OCD about where the cutters are placed on the dough.

Remember, it's for the kids, not you. 

Put the ornaments carefully on a cookie sheet and poke a hole through them with a straw for the ribbon placement.  Bake at 200 degrees for a couple of hours.  I've overbaked them both times I've done it, and I'm wondering if baking them just enough will keep them from breaking so easily.  Or maybe that's how they're supposed to be. 

Once they've cooled tie a ribbon, or in my case yarn, through the hole and hang them on the tree!


(Bonus if you've got snail and hedgehog cookie cutters  The hedgehog is my favorite.)

2 comments:

  1. I just crafted for, like, the first time today, and I loved it so much I went looking for new projects. This will have to be the next one for me...although I kind of worry that in a moment of weakness, I will eat the ornaments. And that would not be dignified.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the most undignified thing would be your reaction after tasting them. They smell amazing but taste awful! Not that I tasted the dough before I baked it or anything. Ahem.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!