Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I'm not gonna lie. This probably isn't the best thing I've ever written.


I think my gift of nonsense has run out.  Or at least taken a vacation.

I’m tired.  The kids have been waking up between 6 and 6:30 every morning, which I know isn’t that early but it’s early enough.  And if you add in the changing weather that always messes with my awakableness and I don’t want to do anything. 

Obviously I don’t have that luxury. 

But I haven’t really felt much like writing.  

*********

On Saturday Chris and I had an at-home date night.  We’d gone to the Fall Festival at Sebastian’s school where I was almost late to work the craft booth that I was cursing myself for signing up for in the first place.  I say almost because there was no one there yelling at me for being late but it was at least five minutes past the time I was supposed to be there that I showed up.  But since no one was mad to my face so I’m calling it a win.

We had walked there, which only takes 10-15 minutes and is probably quicker since we wouldn’t have to worry about putting the kids in car seats or finding a parking spot.  While I manned the table, Chris took the kids around let Sebastian jump in the bouncy house and eat a hot dog and just see all that was happening.  I think it was a neat little festival and will probably plan better next year so we can stay a longer.  The whole thing made me want to be more of a member of the community.  I miss that.  I guess it will come with the kids, especially when they start playing sports or participating in extra activities. 

So anyway, after that we put the kids to bed and Chris started the grill.  We had a really nice, quiet, late dinner, with an emphasis on quiet.  Dinners are usually a rushed, messy, loud affair with me trying to force feed Sebastian a bite of whatever we’re having and also listening to Adele fuss because I’m not feeding her fast enough, and hey, is that more spaghetti ground into the carpet in the dining room?  Awesome. 

But this time it was just us, steaks, a candle and a conversation.  A long conversation. 

Chris and I talk a lot, I think, but we don’t usually take the time to talk.  To have a conversation.  We do have brief ones when we’re driving in the car and the kids are strapped in, but usually that’s interspersed with Sebastian talking about all the trees and cars and stoplights he sees and are we in a forest Mommy?  I think we are.  Are we going to crash?  Pssroperpps!  Oh!  We just pretend crashed!!  And of course Adele is yelling because she’s tired, but not tired enough to just close her eyes and go to sleep but just tired enough to be pissed that she’s being forced to sit in her car seat.

Not a whole lot of room for a meaningful conversation.

I told Chris that we should take the time to do that more often.  We can still have dates at home with the kids in bed.  It was nice.

And since there’s no real point to this post, I’m going to leave you with a picture that Sebastian took with the ipod.  I have no idea what I’m doing in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!