Friday, May 31, 2013

Homemade Friday: Semele Shawl

I was checking through my archives and realized that I haven't posted a Homemade Friday post for a month.

Woops.

I'm not really sure why.  I've been making lots and lots of things, as usual.  Just today I made mozzarella and ricotta and butter. 

I've been sewing and knitting and my son has requested that I make everyone coming to his Star Wars Birthday Party a Luke Skywalker costume.

Stay tuned to see if I actually do that.

(Or not.  The answer is no, kid.  Learn to sew.)

But let's jump back in like I haven't taken a long hiatus and pretend that I've been keeping up with this blog like I'm supposed to be.  And by 'supposed to be' I mean 'forcing myself to.'

...............................................................................................................


I knit this shawl for my friend who lost her husband.

I honestly debated on posting it here because it was a personal gift, made for someone suffering.

But this is who I am.  I picked out this pattern and yarn because I felt helpless.  And knitting is a way for me to keep my hands busy, to feel like I'm doing something that may provide a bit of comfort, and to show my friend I'm thinking of her.


The pattern is Semele.  I thought it was intricate and delicate and just what I wanted.  I used Hand Maiden Sea Silk yarn in Mint.  It's so soft and shiny and I thought the color would look really nice with my friend's red/auburn hair.


The pattern was tricky and it took me longer than I wanted because I messed up once and dropped a stitch and had to take out a bunch of other stitches and redo a whole side and it has an imperfection in it because of that but there was nothing to be done. 

That's the way it goes, yeah?


2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful and such a sweet gesture.

    Here's my moment http://suzyspics.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/this-moment-6ws-simc-first-snow.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!