Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Sewing: Crepe Dress by Colette Patterns


This dress.

This dress.

It's the Crepe Dress by Colette Patterns.

I love this dress so very much.  It's so girly and pretty and simple and no buttons.

I'm discovering more and more how incredibly girly I am.  Give me a dress with with flowers and curl my hair and let me carry a crazy pink peony and rose phone case and I am thrilled.  Ecstatic even.

Ahem:



I've been looking at this pattern for awhile now, drooling and lamenting my need to always buy only patterns that cost less than four dollars because I believe that sewing your own clothes should actually cost less than buying them at the store.

But in a fit of drunken Etsying the week before Sebastian's birthday I caved.  And I'm so glad that I alcohol-induced-splurged on the pattern.  I bought it from this shop and it came super fast, which I was grateful for at the time because I had planned to sew it for the party.  Ha!  HAHAHAHAHAHA!


It will surprise exactly none of you to know that I didn't have time to sew it.  Instead I made a paper mache Death Star Pinata and napkin lightsabers.

But this Sunday was a pretty calm day all around, so I set up my sewing table in the back room and worked.  I figured I'd just do what I could and go from there.  I'd already cut out the pattern the week before because I was sure I was going to get it done early.  Ha!  HAHAHAHA etc.


So I started sewing.  And in between all of the various food-preparing and argument-refereeing and toy finding that goes along with having two small children I was actually able to finish the dress. Of course it was at 9 at night, but still.  Completely finished and completely in love.

I used fabric that I'd found at Wal-Mart for $2.50 a yard, which I'm 90 percent sure I've already bought and given to my mom with a different dress pattern and instructions for her to just sew for me because I don't do buttons. And that pattern has buttons.

Here's a close-up:  

Pretty, no?

So I may end up with two different dresses made out of the same flowery fabric, which I have no problem with because GIRLY.

I used a liner fabric for this because the dress fabric seemed awfully thin and I didn't want to have to worry about a slip or accidentally sharing my unmentionables with random strangers.  Or random friends and family.  It was my first time doing something like that and I'm not entirely sure I did it the right way.  But my method worked for me.  I basically lay the liner under the dress fabric and cut them both out at the same time, then sewed everything together pretending like there wasn't extra material involved.  Does that make sense?


It's a wrap dress with fancy sleeves that wraps in the back and I want to wear it all the time and go on picnics in fields and have my husband row me in a boat while I wear it with a floppy hat.

I don't think that's too much to ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!