Friday, October 28, 2011

Homemade Friday: Gramps Cardigan

I’ve said it before, and, knowing me and my habit of repeating myself over and over again, I’ll probably say it again.

Baby sweaters are so awesome to knit.  It’s almost like instant gratification in that it takes such a short amount of time compared to grown-up sweaters.  Plus any mistakes on the fit don’t really matter, unless it’s ridiculously too small.  But if only a little small, no big deal.  And if it’s too big, well, they’ll just grow into it.

I apologize for the crappy picture.  I was already 30 minutes late
to the shower when I realized I hadn't taken a picture of the finished
product.  But you get the idea.

And even the fiddly ones are a joy to knit because you know that the end result will be worth it, unlike several fiddly grown-up sweaters I’ve ripped apart because they just weren’t working.


This particular sweater, the Gramps Cardigan from Tot Toppers, I knit for a friend, Amanda, who’s baby is due the end of November.  Little Thad will need something to keep him warm since he’s making his appearance in late autumn, right?  

The pattern was pretty straightforward and I think I only had to pull it apart and reknit it once, so that’s helpful. 


I started and finished it months ago so my memory is a little hazy.  But I can tell you that this is a sweater that gave me lots of pleasure to knit.  It’s so sophisticated and soft and little.  It's detailed without being overdone.  I knit the newborn size, but as always my gauge is a little larger than most.  Also, I don’t like to knit swatches to check my gauge.  Am lazy.  So this may not fit him right away, but that’s okay.  He’ll grow into it.


I’ll probably end up knitting one for each of my kids, too, once I get done knitting my must-knits.  Christmas is coming up, you know.

Yarn is my go-to baby sweater yarn, Knitpicks Shine Sport in willow. 

I love this little sweater.  And I can’t wait to see the little guy in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!